Did you get the feeling that bits of Prometheus felt similar to AvP? You’re not the only one!
In a thread over on Empire Magazine’s forums, an interesting thread has started up today discussing how far (or not) Alien vs Predator can be/could have been considered canon, and how Prometheus may have changed that.
Of particular interest is one post that lists all the similarities between the two movies’ storylines. While it’s easy to find such things if you are looking for them, it’s nonetheless a fun list.
Check it out below, then head on over to the thread to join in!
- Scientists discover signs designed to lure humans to a hidden place (where alien-ish things will happen to them)
- Group of archaeologists/experts/mercs assembled by the Weyland company and given talk by Weyland founder
- Similar ‘glyphs’ seen in different cultures around the world scene
- One of the mercs is challenged by a scientist regarding taking weapons
- Two of the team are at odds with one another but later sort of work out their differences when become seperated from group
- Dying Weyland founder, who has designs on immortality, accompanies the crew despite being in very bad health
- Giant pyramid temple structure discovered
- Enter Giger-esque interior searching with torches and find ancient language carved into walls and someone asks ‘can you read this?’
- The depiction of an xeno on the wall
- One of the team activates the structure – thus creating sequence of catastrophic events
- Team gets accidentally separated and some team members are attacked by face creatures
- Discover ancient aliens were once worshiped as Gods by humans
- Ancient aliens are hostile to humans (Weyland is killed)
- Female protagonist tries to save the survivors (and humanity itself) from the alien threat
- Female protagonist is only human survivor to escape destruction of the temple
- Main alien survives destruction and attacks her before another extra-terrestrial attacks the alien thus saving the female protagonist
- Female protagonists fate is uncertain
- Final chest burst scene & new look xeno emerges from an ancient alien
Thanks to Pete for the link!
Prometheus is directed by Ridley Scott, from a screenplay by Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts. The film stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Sean Harris, Rafe Spall, Logan Marshall-Green, Patrick Wilson and Kate Dickie, and is now on release around the world.